Monday, September 14, 2009

Tomatoes, tomatoes everywhere

Remember my tomato plant? Well when I returned from Alberta it was covered in ripe tomatoes, meaning I had to fast forward through the "mmm, fresh tomatoes" phase into the "what the hell am I going to do with all these tomatoes?" phase.

Hello my pretties.

I bookmarked this soup recipe from my kitchen addiction when I was still dreaming of ripe tomatoes and decided to make a modified version of it last night. Unfortunately I didn't get a decent picture of the finished soup last night, and my boyfriend just finished gobbling up the leftovers, so you'll have to use your imagination.
This soup was really good, but SPICY. I added chipolte peppers because I love their smoky flavour but I definitely went overboard. Next time I'd only add half as many, but if you like heat, go with what I added originally. If you'd like to get the same flavour but without the spiciness, try adding some smoked paprika.

5 pounds tomatoes (10-12 depending on how big your tomatoes are)
1 red bell pepper
3 jalapeno peppers (next time I think I'd switch these for another bell pepper)
1 onion, chopped
4 canned chipolte peppers, chopped (next time, only two!)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Broil the peppers on a baking sheet until the skins are charred. Set aside to cool. Cook the tomatoes in a large pot over medium heat until soft. If you like, you can strain them to remove the seeds, but I found that blending the soup made this step unnecessary.
Remove the skins from the roasted peppers and chop finely. Saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until softened. Add to the tomatoes along with the roasted peppers and chipolte peppers. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Add milk and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.




No comments:

Post a Comment