Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sausage, white bean and kale soup - parmigiano rind not optional!


On my last grocery shopping trip I bought a big bunch of kale with the intention of using most of it in a sausage, white bean and kale soup, many variations of which I have seen floating around food blogland for some time now. The recipe I used was from Closet Cooking, chosen partly because I love the blog and partly because I was intrigued by the addition of a parmigiano reggiano rind. I was definitely not disappointed - this soup is crammed with so much good stuff, and the parmesan rind added incredible flavour. After the soup was finished cooking I broke the rind up into smaller pieces and left it in the soup rather than discarding it - it's delicious, and the hunk of cheese cost me upwards of 10 dollars so no way was I going to throw any part of it out!

This soup fits the veggie packed bill that I have been trying to stick to lately, in addition to trying to do a true 30 Day Shred (as in, do the workout every day for 30 days). Not sure if the Shred will happen tonight - with Christmas decorating and making this soup, the day got away from me pretty quickly - but if it doesn't, I can feel satisfied that my dinner was on track!

Sausage, White Bean and Kale Soup (adapted from Closet Cooking)

4 turkey sausages, casing removed
2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Crushed tomatoes (I used a mason jar full made by my BF's mom, probably less than a 28 0z can)
1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch kale, chopped (unless you have a monster bunch like I did - the whole bunch was too much for the soup pot, I had to scoop some of it out!)
1 tsp. dried sage
1 parmigiano reggiano rind
1L container chicken stock, plus two cups water (the 1L container was not enough to cover all the soup ingredients. I used a low sodium broth - if this is not available to you, I recommend using half broth and half water - the soup is very flavourful on its own, it doesn't need a ton of salt)

Brown the sausage in a large pot and set aside. In the same pot, heat the oil and saute the onions for about 7-8 min. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour (I caved at 45 minutes because I was hungry, but my carrots were still a bit crunchy).

1 comment:

  1. This informative post has the potent to give precise info about the dietary supplements that have positive effect on our health. seaveg is another product that is prepared from nutrients of see weeds and extremely useful for our body’s natural mechanism.

    ReplyDelete